Ron Magen

Default Newbie: Want recommendations for boatbuilding books

Bryan,
Thanks for the kind words.

FWIW -
"First Build" . . . "stable" . . . "Family daysailer". You have 3
objectives here. However you might want to add another 'criteria' - "fairly
rapid & inexpensive to build".

A boat that would fit your first three points would be something on the
order of Stevenson Projects "Pocket Cruiser/ Motor Sailer. HOWEVER, this
boat is neither 'simple' nor 'quick' {relatively speaking}to build. [at the
cost of the plans -$20 in 1999 - it is something nice to get, even if you
just hang them on the wall for 'day dreaming' purposes]

What I would suggest - which will allow you to achieve 75-95% of what you
want, in stages - is Phil Bolger's "Rubens Nymph". Chapter 6 in Payson's
book is devoted to building the 'Nymph'. The reason I recommend the 'Rubens'
version - it's a FOOT WIDER in the beam and hence, more stable. {I build one
for a gentleman who's wife had one of those illnesses that effected her
balance & ability to move}.

She is fairly easy to build an will work as a nice 'teaching tool'. The
materials are relatively inexpensive {YOU can decide to make her a
'workboat' or a 'Gold-Plater' as you go along}. Start by building the
'Rowing' version. This will get you started and out on the water. {'Desire'
has a habit of waning when the 'family' looses interest because 'it' is
taking too long.} Because she uses a 'Leeboard' {think about two - leave
them in place, rather than switching on tacking - one less thing for a
beginner to worry about}, you won't have to get involved with a 'centerboard
trunk' or piercing the hull. Therefore, you can build them, and the rudder,
and the mast & 'partners', later, as you get a feel for the boat. And IF you
want to continue on 'this' project. You STILL have to buy, or
'sew-it-yourself', a SAIL{actually the BIGGEST cost factor item}.

As far as 'family daysailer' is concerned, it depends on the 'family' . . .
she is ONLY about 8 ft long. I would say TWO people, at most. I would STILL
suggest building a 'Nymph' or 'Rubens Nymph' at first. However, you might
want to look at Jacques Mertens, 'Caravelle' - another 'pram-type' hull form
{www.bateau.com}, or Bolger's 12 foot version of the famous 'Beetle Cat' -
his "Bob Cat" . . . "Build the Instant Catboat" by 'Dynamite' Payson.

Please feel free to drop me a line if you want to discuss this in more
detail.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Bryan Hilterbrand" wrote
SNIP
Thanks for all the great advice, Ron! That's the kind of information I

need
right now -- I'm so new to this that it took me a couple of minutes to
figure
out what SNG is (stitch 'n glue). I suppose that acronym is better than
SAG. ;-)

I'll be headed down to the library later to check some books out. Do you
have any favorite plans to make a stable, family daysailor?

Thanks again,
Bryan