Terry

Default Volvo Penta MD1

Niclas Flatholm wrote:

Hi! I have an old MD1 that is leaking water(into the oil). The problem
is I don't have a clue where it leaks. Anyone that know where I should
seek, and if it's worthwhile (I already spent a week trying to locate
the fault). Otherwise, the engine is in top condition if it weren't
for this (minor... ehh..) problem.

Kind regards
Niclas

MD-1B. We had water in the engine oil. Caused by putting mains
water pressure on the water intake hose whereas the cooling pump
is only supposed to 'suck' the cooling sea water from the intake
cock at zero pressure. This must have forced water past the pump
seals into the crankcase? After correcting this, engine ran OK
for two seasons following.
About to redo our MD-1 (boat has been up on shore for many years
due to illness and a death in the family) I am most grateful for
the comments in this thread regarding those water pump seals.
The suggestion about leakage past the injector is a good one
also. Terry.