James Johnson

Default Volvo Penta MD1

SInce this is a MD1 thread I would like to ask another MD1 question. Anyone
have any recommendations for where to get parts for a Volvo MD1 and can
recommend a shop that will work on them? I am on the Chesapeake middle bay
area.

I have a project boat and a MD1 that I can't turn over by hand (I am reluctant
to try to start an engine which I can't rotate the shaft). It looks in pretty
fair shape on the outside with no obvious signs of water intrusion. I was going
to pull the head to see what the bore looks like but I manage to cut my palm
almost to the bone. So I might be looking for a mechanic to check it over.

JJ

P.S. Before working on your house be very, very sure that the ground under the
ladder is firm enough so that said ladder leg will not sink unevenly causing
ladder to go down sliding sideways. Ask me how I know.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:20:10 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

The MD shop manual goes into great detail on how to install those shaft
seals. If the seals are purchased from Volvo (about $7 each) they should be
of the correct type of rubber for salt water and the garter spring should be
of stainless.

I always seem to end up changing any Volvo OEM pumps over to the Johnson
pumps but, if I remember correctly, the seals are the same size. The new
MD2B that I just installed in my boat came with a Johnson pump.

The biggest mistake a MD (or other) owners might make, is to allow or
intentionally blocking the weep hole in the pump mount housing.. This is
suppose to be a drain for any water that gets by the water side seal and
keep it from passing the oil side seal. The lip of the oil side seal faces
inward, towards the crank case and if water pressure builds up in the mount
housing, the water will leak right by a the oil side seal.

James Johnson
remove the dot from after sail in email address to reply