Jim Kelly

Default Can I use a NYLON Transducer in a WOOD Hull ???

Other than cost, is there any reason why you chose the plastic over the
bronze? In your case, I understand that you have a wood hull and are concerned
about stress cracking but I have never seen a good explanation on why you would
use a bronze transducer over plastic on a fiberglass hull, yet bronze seems to
be more popular.

Gary Warner wrote:

I just received my new depth finder and transducer in the mail. After
asking on newsgroups, reading Chapman's, and some West advisories I decided
on the Nylon Flush Mount thru-hull transducer.

The instructions that came with it say NOT to put it through a wood hull as
the swelling of the wood could stress/crack the transducer.

This boat is a lap-strake PLYWOOD boat. I know that planked boats swell a
lot to close/seal the gaps and calking. Do plywood boats swell much?? I'm
thinking they don't?

Is it OK to use this nylon transducer or should I send it back and pony up
the bucks for the bronze one?

Thanks,
Gary