Tuppence Tuppence is offline

Default (Pt tall ships) [16of19] - p-tall_ships039.jpg (1/1)

"joevan" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 01:07:48 GMT, "Tuppence"
wrote:

"joevan" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 23:58:36 GMT, "Tuppence"
wrote:

"joevan" wrote in message

Due to the presence of "Lord Kelvin's Balls" on the binnacle this must
be
an
iron/steel hulled vessel.

Regards,
Tuppence

Huh? What exactly are you seeing in that picture?

The two pure iron spheres mounted one on each side of the compass on the
binnacle for the purpose of correcting compass
inaccuracy caused by the magnetic influence of the iron/steel hull and
referred to, rather irreverently, by mariners as "Lord Kelvin's Balls"
after
their inventor.

Picture below is of statue of Lord Kelvin in the Botanic Gardens in
Belfast
about three miles from my home. The statue shows him standing in front of
ship's binnacle and one of the iron balls is clearly visible

See also link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binnacle

Regards,
Tuppence

Thanks for the explanation. I know about Kelvin as a great man but I
was unaware of his iron balls. LOL
Rather colorful in that picture on Wiki- one blue the other red? I
guess better they not both be blue balls. )

One ball does appear to be blue but it is probably poor colour rendition.
Normally they are painted red and green to correspond to 'Port' and
'Starboard'.

Regards,
Tuppence