William R. Watt

Default Peddle Boats

Stephen Baker ) writes:
William Watt says:

no moreso than paddling kills your arms.

Not so - paddling kayak-wise uses a full movement of the arms, ending with the
paddle being withdrawn and the other arm starting to work. No jarring.
Having a blade come out of the water while still under full power, then (say)
half a revolution until the other blade hits is going to be..... hmmmm -
looks for marine analogy.... like NOT having a throttle-man on an offshore
powerboat. The prop will come back into the water after a jump with the engine
spinning maddly, suddenly get loaded and break the shaft/blade whichever. Not
good. ;-(

I'm not actually looking for a continous kayak-style power, but a
discontinuous canoe-style or a discontintuous oar-stlye power. I've seen
foot-operated oars in a film on Southeast Asia.

I'm not looking at a bunch of little blades churning up the surface, but
two larger blades deeper in the water like on a canoe. I want the boat to
go smoothly and silently like a canoe, not making a lot of noise like the
peddal paddle boats I've seen. A slower action with larger, deeper blades.
Low rpm's, larger blades, more effective power.

I don't think the kids peddal shaft allows enough piston action in the
legs to work the large paddles.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm