William R. Watt

Default Peddle Boats

I just tore the pedals and rod out of a discarded kid's toy with the idea
of some day installing foot operated paddles on one of my one sheet boats.

Prelimary thoughts are -

1. to be able to drift into shallow water only two paddles per side at 180
deg. so they can be held horizonal entirely clear of the water. set up a
shock cord to hold the peddals in place with the paddles horizontal out of
the water.

2. to avoid as much as possible pushing down on the water, use a bent
paddle shaft.

3. to mimic arm paddling have the blades on both sides enter teh water at
the same time - paddle, glide, paddle, glide - instead of constant churning
of the water.

4. to allow a combination of foot peddaling and double blade arm paddling
have the option of the foot paddles on each side 90 deg from each other
instead of parallel. imagine the power with both feet pedalling and arm
paddling at the same time - tandem paddle solo power kayak.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm