posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default pc-based navigation ideas

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 02:02:40 +0000, Larry wrote:

Wayne.B wrote in
:

The best way to get most of what you want is to purchase a Furuno
NavNet2 integrated radar/chartplotter with optional ARPA functions.

He can always beg his banker to increase his credit card limit, right?....
(c;

Of course, if that's what it takes.

If you *really* need things like chart/radar overlay, AIS and ARPA
functions, it pays to do it right in my experience, and not with a
kluge of haywired components. We have all that on our trawler because
we make quite a few multi-day passages, which necessitates that my
wife be able to confidently stand solo watches at night without waking
me up every 15 minutes. Otherwise we could easily get by without it.