posted to rec.boats.building
Heikki Heikki is offline

Default "tent" type dinghy

wrote:
I am so sick of these "designers" selling boats and plans with illegal
non-flotation configurations.. Just my opinion...

Remember that you are posting to an international newsgroup. What is illegal
in your end of the world may well be legal somewhere else. The safety rules
can be quite complex, and do differ a lot around the world. Also, some
rules apply to selling boats, boats you build yourself often have different
requirements, and selling plans may be totally unregulated.

That said, flotation is a good idea, especially if it was practically
possible. Boat design is always a matter of compromise; you can never get
all the things you want in a design.

Here is a simple idea: Add some straps to the fold-out design, and tie your
fenders under them when you use the dinghy. They give at least some
flotation, and may be easily available while your boat is on anchor
somewhere... Probably not living up to the legal requirements in some
places, but might work.

- Heikki