Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default Yo, Shortwave, Black Lab

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message

One obvious difference I should have mentioned, but didn't, is that
along the E coast you guys like to build towers on your boats. They
are almost unheard of on the W coast. Those towers are quite often
made of aluminum.
---------------------------------

Although aluminum is used, most that I've seen are stainless.

-----------------------------------

One of the boats I recently wrote up for the magazine comes in both an
E Coast and a W Coast version. The support for the hardtop and the
deck rails are aluminum back east, but stainless our west.

My limited knowledge of metallurgy suggests that aluminum and stainless can
react (electrolysis) unless careful attention is used to physically insulate
them from each other.

In a salt water environment I think I'd rather have aluminum supports on an
aluminum boat and stainless on a fiberglass boat.

Eisboch