posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default Erosion of the Zinc anode and HF transmission via PacTOR modem and Sailmail

Agreed that is probably the best description of a good grounding system. I
have followed it including the isolation caps between the RF ground and
engine/keel and a DIY DC block on the VHF coax but I still have one path for
RF to get to the DC ground. The power line to the SSB. With the coax from
the SSB to the tuner disconnected the DMM shows infinite resistance. With
the SSB connected (but not on) I get 8 ohms. I think I need to add a DC
block on that coax too.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Gordon" wrote in message
Bil wrote:
After checking my zinc anode, I'm fairly certain I'm getting
accelerated erosion of my shaft zinc anode when transmitting Sailmail
e-mail via my HF radio and PacTOR modem.

Sailmail and the PacTOR modem drive the HF radio (an ICOM IC-M710)
fairly hard.

Does everyone transmitting with a PacTOR modem suffer accelerated
erosion of their zinc anodes? Or is this something specific to my
installation (and can be corrected)? If the latter, what should I look
for and correct?

Cheers

Bil

Look at

http://www.sailmail.com/grounds.htm

Probably the best article on grounding available
Gordon