Gary Wright

Default Somebody Doesn't Like This News Group

Well, I do use Mr. Gates' Outlook, but I run it on Mr. Jobs hardware, so
..exe files don't scare me 'cause they can't touch my Mac.

Terri - are you saying 'yes' that virii/macros/trojans - let's just call
them 'bad things' - CAN happen to a computer just by viewing a post if the
viewer is running Outlook Express? I'm not talking about opening
attachements or running downloaded software or updaters - just reading posts
or e-mail. I have always considered viewing posts and emails to be safe
without the use of any 'protection' - someone correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks,
-GW

In article , Terry Spragg
wrote:

Gary Wright wrote:

So, is it possible to get a virus just by reading a NewsGroup post?
-GW

Only if you use Mr. Gates' outlook to read it. Netscape is
immune. They are not technically virii, but macros. Could be
called trojans in a sense.

NEVER open attachments you didn't expect, especially if the end
in .doc, .exe, .bat, .com, .scr etc. Some have double filename
endings like picturename.jpg.exe and are full of worms, malicious
macros, etc.

Some like that are innocent.

Terry K

In article , Dave Fleming
wrote:

Ayup,just got yet another virus, Norton caught it, address list is
full of familiar names of posters to this group.
Be Aware People!

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd
Tales of a Boat Builder Apprentice

--