posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Anderson John Anderson is offline

Default Land use of marine radios

"Bruce in alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"John Anderson" wrote:

A local Marine towing outfit in Ft Madison, IA uses Channel 11
for their trucks running around town, or at least they did when
I worked down there.

There is another possible answer to the above situation. There IS
a Part 80 Classification of a Portable or Mobile Land Based Marine
VHF Station. It is called a Marine Utility Coast Station when on
Land and a Marine Utility Station when used on water. These are not
easy to acquire, but they do exist and I have held both at one time or
another. I have friends in the Marine Electronics Sales and Service
bizz, that have these and have had them for years. Also Ship Pilots
use these type Marine Licenses, for Portables, they use to communicate
with the Pilot Boats, Ships, and Tugs.

These coyote hunters have admitted to using Marine radios,
no mistake about it. They would be legal if they were in
jon boats instead of pickup trucks. But a Ford pickup truck
does not meet that description!