posted to rec.boats.electronics
WBH WBH is offline

Default pc-based navigation ideas

wrote in message
| I have a 48' CnC Landfall. I'm looking for ideas on PC-based
| navigation components. Currently, I have two laptops running Maptech
| Offshore Navigator, both of which are configured to use a Serial-USB
| converter and a handheld GPS. I also already have installed Raymarine
| ST60+ wind/speed/depth instruments.
|
| I am hoping to get suggestions on the following:
|
| o an autopilot - interfaced to the pc for waypoint creation and
| control
| o a radar - interfaced to the pc for MARPA target overlay on top of
| charts
| o ways to integrate GPS and other NMEA data onto a 2nd pc mounted
| elsewhere in the boat
| o a ruggedized, daylight display either
| a) mirroring the pc display which in turn is controlled by a
| wireless trackball, or
| b) an ultra mobile or pocket pc which can by itself diplay NMEA
| data and drive the autopilot
|
| Just wondering if anyone else has set up a system remotely like these
| items. I've heard both good & bad about the panasonic toughbook which
| mirrors a pc screen, but cannot verify the source. I have no input on
| the ultra mobile pc nor pocket pc idea.
|
| Another idea which occurs to me is to simply buy an autopilot which
| has it's own wireless control, and then just use a Garmin GPSMap 76 as
| the handheld. It won't display the wind/speed/depth, but then again,
| it's simple and portable to the dingy.
|
| Has anyone used the MARPA target data overlay on top of charts
| feature? I've seen how this is done in the all-in-one products, but
| haven't seen it on a PC program. How does this work? Does the radar
| itself prune echos from land masses? In layman's terms, how does the
| radar select an echo to be a MARPA target?
|
| Many thanks...

Hi,
Books could be written on this subject (some do).
Maybe I can give you some ideas as I have just installed a new
Northstar/Navico auto pilot on my boat, to replace a Raymarine ST6000+. You
will also have to integrate Seatalk instrument, auto pilot and computer, so
you may find some of this of interest to yourself:
http://brookhouseonline.com/pdf%20fi...lot%203100.pdf
Wout