posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] google@cognisense.com is offline

Default pc-based navigation ideas

I have a 48' CnC Landfall. I'm looking for ideas on PC-based
navigation components. Currently, I have two laptops running Maptech
Offshore Navigator, both of which are configured to use a Serial-USB
converter and a handheld GPS. I also already have installed Raymarine
ST60+ wind/speed/depth instruments.

I am hoping to get suggestions on the following:

o an autopilot - interfaced to the pc for waypoint creation and
control
o a radar - interfaced to the pc for MARPA target overlay on top of
charts
o ways to integrate GPS and other NMEA data onto a 2nd pc mounted
elsewhere in the boat
o a ruggedized, daylight display either
a) mirroring the pc display which in turn is controlled by a
wireless trackball, or
b) an ultra mobile or pocket pc which can by itself diplay NMEA
data and drive the autopilot

Just wondering if anyone else has set up a system remotely like these
items. I've heard both good & bad about the panasonic toughbook which
mirrors a pc screen, but cannot verify the source. I have no input on
the ultra mobile pc nor pocket pc idea.

Another idea which occurs to me is to simply buy an autopilot which
has it's own wireless control, and then just use a Garmin GPSMap 76 as
the handheld. It won't display the wind/speed/depth, but then again,
it's simple and portable to the dingy.

Has anyone used the MARPA target data overlay on top of charts
feature? I've seen how this is done in the all-in-one products, but
haven't seen it on a PC program. How does this work? Does the radar
itself prune echos from land masses? In layman's terms, how does the
radar select an echo to be a MARPA target?

Many thanks...