posted to rec.boats.electronics
Daniele Fua Daniele Fua is offline

Default Isolation transformers

Glenn Ashmore ha scritto:
Can someone tell me the difference between the standard Charles 3.6kVA
transformer and the ISO-G2 3.6kVA transformer? (Other than the $500
difference in price, that is.)

I am not sure in this case but: look at the weight! There are on the
market isolation transformers that use a switching device: a relatively
complex electronic way to obtain the same average power by switching a
highest power on/off at high frequency. The classical high power
transformers are very heavy beacause they need a lot of copper wire and
metal and, at most, need a simple circuit to avoid the turn-on
overcurrent, the switching ones use much lighter (less heavy)
transformers but need active electronics to be driven.

Daniel