Jacques Mertens

Default Hull speed theory?

How about the Pierre Gutelle book?
I have it in french but it is available in english, Wooden Boat sells it.
I found all the math theory about wave resistance with formulas in the 2nd
chapter then, it is applied in chapter 5.
He also shows a good bibliography listing many papers and books about wave
resistance.
Gutelle may give you all the answers you are looking for.
You'll see why that hull speed formula is very crude.
The French title is "Architecture du Voilier", volume 1 of 3.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Sakari Aaltonen" wrote in message
In article ,
D MacPherson wrote:
sci.engr.marine.hydrodynamics - but this is not very active.

However, you might find what you need by doing a Google search in the
"Groups" section for "hull speed". There was a large tread about hull

speed
in rec.boats.builder a couple years back. You'll find more opinions than

you
ever wanted...

Thanks, but I'm not looking for _opinions_, really. I went to the
library today and found quite a number of books on fluid dynamics.
Some had sections on surface waves; the mathematical derivation
shows, indeed, that the propagation speed of such a wave is directly
proportional to the square root of the wavelength. I'll need some
time to work through that derivation...:-)

Sakari Aaltonen