Ed Edelenbos

Default Barge with camper?

An idea, would be to find the barge/what-have-you and build a house on
it. I've often thought that if you did away with the "cutesy"
boat/camper specific things that go with a houseboat/camper and just
built it like something you'd like to live in, it would come out
cheaper. I've seen this done with pontoon boats... The big thing is to
use more nonrusting hardware and better paint (and more paint more often).

I have a composting toilet in a cabin. A few times a year (when the air
is unusually still for more than a day or two) there is a urine smell.
The cabin is on a hill and you pretty much have to stand at just the
right place on the hill and close enough to the exhaust pipe to smell
it. Other than that, it is never a problem. I would think in a marine
environment where even a gentle breeze is more common (than in the
woods) this would not be a concern. They do need emptying once a year
(average use) and some amount of maintainance (additions of peat
moss/mulch, turning of the drum, and maintaining the proper moisture
level.)

I think in Mass./New Eng. (considering propulsion (esp. at any speed) is
low on the priority list), a steel barge would need hauling and painting
not much more than every 10-15 years or so. I may be wrong on that. As
I remember, the barges here on the Chesapeake are not re-painted more
often than that and while not tropical, the water is warmer longer here
and there are more creatures.

Ed

Bill wrote:

Ed--The barge house in Baltimore sounds exactly like what I
would love to do but money is a concern--we aren't poor, but aren't
rich either. Great idea if we could find one though. Just leave it
moored over the winter. Ice probably wouldn't bother it.
Peggy---I wonder if the composting toilet might leave bad
odors down wind causing hate and discontent wtih those who are there?
Any ideas?? I am leaning toward a holding tank as pumping out on most
Cape harbors is free.
Does anyone know if a steel barge needs to be hauled very
often for painting, maint., or whatever?
Thanx again everyone.

Bill

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:23:34 GMT, Bill wrote:

We aren't sure where we will end up going at this point, however it
will be on the east coast, harbor, maybe Cape Cod area, but not sure.
Bill

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:50:12 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Bill wrote:

As some of you mentioned, yes, we have given this a little more than
just a quick thought. We have a gen set, so power isn't a problem. For
blackwater we are thinking of an Electrasan style disposal system...

Where do you plan to put the barge? If not in coastal waters or a