Paul Oman

Default polyester - epoxy bonding

Walt wrote:

I have a polyester/ glass laminated part (gelcoat on one side) and I
need to repair a hole in it. In the past, Ive sanded the
glass/polyester, cleaned it up with acetone and then used west epoxy and
"boat tape" glass. The polyester part is about 4 years old.

This works reasonably well but the bond doesnt seem as good as the
original polyster glass to glass laminations or if I were bonding epoxy
to epoxy.

Any suggestions on a really strong way to fix holes in polyester
laminated structures or improvements on what Im already doing would be
appreciated.

Regards,

wh

Hello:

In my probably distorted brain the 'view' is that polyester bonds well to
itself and only so-so to other materials (lots of first and second hand
experience of polyester resin to wood failures after about 8 to 10 years),
but epoxy bonds well to lots of things, including polyester.

paul
www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

PAUL OMAN ----- Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc.
Frog Pond Hollow - 48 Wildwood Dr - Pittsfield NH 03263
603-435-7199 FAX 603-435-7182 VISA/MC/Discover
http://www.epoxyproducts.com
Boating site: http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html