Kiyu

Default I hope My Bilge Is Showing

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:29:41 -0700, Dave Fleming wrote:

snip
If I was told to paint the topsides I would have still have had to ask the Bos'n
what he wanted me to paint because it is relative and has no clear definition -
the topsides of what? If I had to redo the topsides of a Thistle I wouldn't redo
the outside of the hull.
The original poster said the topsides was the area between the waterline &
gunwales. The only thing I have heard this area called is the side of the
ship/boat.
Are there any old salts out here who want to jump in?

Kiyu

Ayup, I do and that first definition is correct for me.

And it looks like you'd be absolutely right & I'd be wrong.

I did some Googling & found a site that gave it as:
TOPSIDE - On or above a weather deck, a deck wholly exposed to the elements.
TOPSIDES - The sides of a vessel between the waterline and the deck.

My apology to the original poster.

Don't recall that working on my ship but then the old Donald Duck style dress
hat was issued as a part of my seabag. Maybe that's the problem - it's been too
damn long ago.G

Kiyu