Jacques Mertens

Default Recreational power boat choice

In your first message, you asked for 40 to 50 mph.
You will only get that with a planing hull, there is no alternative. None,
zero: it must be a planing hull.
Speed in a planing hull is affected by weight and HP: there is no magic in
the hulls to make them go faster.
Since you have decided in favor of an engine as small as possible, the only
variable left is weight = you need a boat as light as possible.

"Bio" engines are diesel engines burning vegetal oil: they are heavy, the
oil is expensive and who wants an exhaust that smell like frenchs fries?
--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Sean" wrote in message
om...
Thanks to everybody for the info.

Jacques -
I understand where you're coming from. I guess I'm more concerned with
the hydrodynamics - the drag - than the speed. I could always put a
big engine into a boat that isn't meant to go fast - and get the same
results as a small engine in a fast boat. I guess I want to maximize
the engine-to-speed ratio. I want an efficient boat rather than having
to put a massive engine on it. I'll take a look on the forums and see
what the consensus is. Thanks.

Matt -
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try to locate those books.

-Sean

I'm going through some of the same decision making processes you are.
A few other good books to read are David Gerr's books, "The Nature of
Boats: Insights and Esoterica for the Nautically Obsessed."
(excellent) and "The Elements of Boat Strength: For Builders,
Designers and Owners." (I have only browsed this book. More formulas
and detailed information than "Nature..". "The Nature of Boats..." is
an excellent book. The author's writing style is technical and witty
making it an enjoyable read. The reviews of both on Amazon tell it
better than I can.

Matt