posted to rec.boats.electronics
Manlio Manlio is offline

Default Erosion of the Zinc anode and HF transmission via PacTOR modem and Sailmail

Followup to msg on Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:49:11 -0800 (PST), Bil
:
(Original msg on bottom)

I use a lot Pactor winlink SSB and I have not any accelation on the
standard zinc corrosion.
Important note may be : I have no connection between ground straps and
boat negative (engine body) neither the TX is grounded to negative or
to strap, just the antenna tuner goes to gnd strap.
Counterpois is based on two external plates + boat keel,tanks etc
coupled via capacitors

Hope it helps
Manlio
ik2rau

After checking my zinc anode, I'm fairly certain I'm getting
accelerated erosion of my shaft zinc anode when transmitting Sailmail
e-mail via my HF radio and PacTOR modem.

Sailmail and the PacTOR modem drive the HF radio (an ICOM IC-M710)
fairly hard.

Does everyone transmitting with a PacTOR modem suffer accelerated
erosion of their zinc anodes? Or is this something specific to my
installation (and can be corrected)? If the latter, what should I look
for and correct?

Cheers

Bil