posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck chuck is offline

Default Erosion of the Zinc anode and HF transmission via PacTOR modem and Sailmail

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:33:00 -0000, "Alec"
wrote:

I note that this is a shaft anode.

Many consider that this is good enough but note that some gearboxes do not
have a good electrical connection through them, some are intermittent, it
depends on the design and I suspect the fluid (oil or ATF).

I consider that a hull anode is essential as well as a shaft anode, if there
is no positive connection from the shaft to the engine etc.

An alternative is a set of slip rings from the hull anode wiring system to
the shaft, then no shaft anode is needed and the hull anode can be large
enough to last a long time.

Alec

While there is merit to these suggestions, the fact remains that the
OP's zinc is eroding rapidly. This can only occur with a good
electrical connection. If the zinc is simply dropped into seawater,
unconnected to anything, it will last much longer than any of us! ;-_

Chuck