Jacques Mertens

Default Bateau Cheap Canoe....?

Good points below and want to add that the old "pirogues" were heavy. Some
were made with 1" thick planks, the weight added stability, inertia.
Our modern plywood boats are light, easier to move but less stable.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Wiz" wrote in message
James,

you've got a bone in your teeth now; run with it. I've been screwing my

mouth
up when I read that a pirogue is "tippy", so I'll go ahead and out with

it...
tippy is relative; take three boats in the same size range a baidarka, a
round-bottom (or multi-chine) canoe, and a pirogue. Go out paddling in

each.
You'll come back raving about how stable the pirogue is.

Remember, these things, and their dugout predecessors, were designed to be
propelled by a (skilled) man poling the boat while *standing* near the

stern.

I suspect you'll find it quite stable for your uses.

Cheers/The Fader

I hate to bug the guy on a freebie, especially for such a simple
boat!! What the heck, I'll just put her together and give it a shot. If

its
too tender for me, I'll pass it along to a nephew.

"LABOR SVGIT"