Backyard Renegade

Default Bateau Cheap Canoe....?

Ed Edelenbos wrote in message ...
From what I've read (no real experience), pirogues (which this boat
falls under IMO) are relatively tippy. As long as you stay low in the
boat, you should be ok. Personally, from looking at the design, I'd add
an oak 1x1 keel down the center.

Almost. The real problem with Pirogues, and I have built and paddled a
few, is that initially they were used by cajuns to stand and pole
around the Bayou with no real concern as to which way the boat was
pointed... This creates a problem however when you want the boat to
paddle or row in straight, especially if there is any movement to the
water. Now when you convert this to a paddle or row boat you want to
have the directional stability of a rear skeg (can be full length) I
usually have mine start at 3/4 x 3/4 in the bow as you suggested, but
about mid hull start to taper out to about 2 1/2 to 3 inches high a
few inches forward of the stern. It is still a little tough to paddle
these things, I have not built Bateau's version, but the skeg helps a
lot. Maybe Jaques has one in the plan, forgive me if I did not look
and that is the case... if it is already there... nevermind.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

Maybe Jacques will chime in...
Ed

James W. Sloan wrote:
Group,

I've found a couple of creeks I want to explore and I've decided to put
together the Bateau "Cheap Canoe". I don't expect much given that the plans
are free and the materials minimal. Anyone built one to these plans? Any
changes I should make? Is this a stable canoe (13' x 30") or is it
tender/tippy? Should I add a small keel? I'll likely use Luan and
epoxy/glass ( I have enough left over from other projects to go with the
"cheap" theme!).

Thanks in advance,

James