William R. Watt

Default Different sorts of Keels

judith ) writes:
When looking at different timber boats I have come across many
different backbone that talk about different keels.
I am even after reading some of the books what is the difference
between such terms as

batten keel -
rebated keel - has a groove all along its length to take the first plank
deadwood keel - a big piece of wood hanging down under the stern
hollow heel keel - the keel is not solid, see also "box keel"
laminated keel - made from many layers of wood
.. Also the term tee-section - looks like the letter "T" in cross section

comes up quite
a bit.
Can anyone please help me get over the keel problem (which is
beginning to become like an Achilles heel not keel for me.)
Thanks Judith

National Capital FreeNet www.ncf.ca Ottawa's free community network
website: www.ncf.ca/~ag384 "Tank, take me in."