JS

Default Using a larger jib okay?

I have two sailboats; a fairly new 13' in good condition, and an old 15'
where everything is about to fail (except the hull, which seems bombproof)

The 15' has a furling jib. Can I use it on the 13'? It would mean moving
the attachment point up about 18", and it would open up past the mast (like
a genoa?); and obviously be bigger than the old jib.

Are there problems that I just don't understand that would make this
impractical? In strong wind the boat handles very poorly with just the
main, but reasonably well with a jib and the main reefed; I am guessing an
oversized jib would be much like the latter case.

Any comments would be appreciated. Is there a good forum for sailing
questions?