Bud Boland

Default DixieCraft Mahogany (?) Advice wanted

The only boat I have ever heard of having each seam be a live seam instead
of just a kerf is Ventnor. I think just about everybody else stuck to the
traditional method.

"P.C. Ford" wrote in message
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:13:33 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Your most valuable information will come as you remove things. As you
take out a rotten deck plank examine the edges and joints carefully to
see how they went together. Sometines the deck planks are slightly
beveled. Once they are all laid the joints were packed with plumber's
oakum or a cotton yarn and then filled with either a white or black
marine caulk formulated for the purpose.

With very, very few exceptions (in 20 years of runabout restoration I
saw one) the decks on a speedboat are not caulked.

Typically they will be made up of, say 6 inch wide planks which have a
kerf cut into it on the 2 and 4 inch intervals. Thus, each plank will
contain one real seam and two fake seams. All seams are covered with
polysuphide or polyurethane.