Ed Edelenbos

Default Rot Conclusion

For years (since about 1988 or so) my brother (a professional
carpenter/contractor since the mid '70s and still going strong) has
professed that "pt lumber will be the asbestos of the 'oughts'". It has
little to do with the steel and concrete industry. It has to do with
birth defects, accumulated toxins that lead to chronic illnesses, etc.
The chems in pt lumber are nasty stuff. Duh... it's made to kill stuff.

What will we do? We'll create a big enough market for recycled plastic
lumber to make it more economical for the people who produce it which
will in turn bring the prices down. And us, the bottom of the market,
insignificant home boat builders will truly benefit from it. (IMO)
Ed

Keith wrote:
"Consultant": N. "Someone who comes in from out of town and shows slides."

Seriously, rot is just a fact of life. What are folks going to do when you
can't get treated lumber for your outdoor projects any longer. I understand
it will be banned soon. Probably due to the efforts of the steel and
concrete industries.