Ed Edelenbos

Default Building a kayak out of luan

Backyard Renegade wrote:

hand. And another thing, a salty old local told me long ago... "a good
paint job hides a lot of stuff".
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

Or, as an old carpenter told me once... "caulk, putty, and paint, makes
a carpenter what he ain't".

For some stuff (i.e. joints that are sound but aren't perfect), varnish
or primer mixed with the sawdust from a belt sander makes a great filler.

For a few years, I built guitars and dulcimers and such so my joinery is
(If I'm allowed to say so) not half bad. To some extent, building some
of these "tortured plywood" boats is very similar to some instrument
construction... just on a very large scale.

Ed