William R. Watt

Default Willow ribs for SOF kayak

the best ribs bend when building but not when paddling

Wiz ) writes:
I've looked att he site showing a blue polytarp-covered kayak made with willow
switches for the ribs. This is a Q&D job just for fun. But, all seriousness
aside, why wouldn't willow limbs make good ribs?

Is there a traditional style that uses bent shoots for the ribs? It seems that
one could alternate the butts from starboard to port as you go along, or, since
the ribs are lashed and mortise/tenoned anyway, put a pair of butts each side
at the keelson, with a scarphed, lashed joint in the middle, the skinnier tips
tenoned into the gunnels. Larger willow limbs could do for the deck beams.

I am (obviously) not a kayak builder, but I've had an interest aroused over the
last few weeks for a SOF boat and have been thinking about materials.

OK, let's have it all, flames, references, what have you.

Cheers/The Fader
"LABOR SVGIT"

National Capital FreeNet www.ncf.ca Ottawa's free community network
website: www.ncf.ca/~ag384 "Tank, take me in."