Drew Dalgleish

Default Highlander Trailer - VIN # location

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:11:23 GMT, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

This seems like an instance of runaway beaurocracy.

If it happened that I had such a trailer, and could not find the VIN
plate, I could reasonably suppose that it had been eroded and lost by
submersion and abrasion if ever fitted, and accordingly,
I would purchase two brass strips, and use (borrow, buy) a set of
letter/number punches. I would stamp each of two strips with the given
VIN and pop rivet or screw them to two places on the trailer:
One on the carriage near the tongue, the other on the rear rail.

A rubbing of this plate, with a copy of the titile showing the same
VIN, would provide documentation which should be quite defensible.
As it happens I own two trailers, and I am confident that neither
carries a VIN plate, nor need they, here.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On 1 Jul 2003 06:46:18 -0700, (Debra) wrote:

I recently sold a 17' sailboat with a Highlander trailer to someone
who lives in PA and will use it a lot more than me. However, he's now
calling and asking if I know the location of the VIN # plate on the
trailer. Seems the official in PA from whom he has to get the title
transfer wants a tracing (rubbing?) of the acutal VIN # plate, not
just the previous title. Now this trailer was originally titled in NH
(have a copy of the title with VIN #), then I bought it and titled it
in VA (have copy of title with VIN #) no problem, but it seems the PA
official won't accept the two previous titles as authority for the VIN
#. The new owner is talking of junking a perfectly good trailer (with
brand new tires) because he's been unable to locate the VIN # plate.

Does anyone know where he might find the plate?

What Brian said but first I'd go to a different DOT office to find out
if it's a statewide thing or just one asshole with a little power