posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default Microwave leak detector - active radar reflectors

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:21:58 GMT, John Navas
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:56:25 GMT, You wrote in
:

and which do you think COSTS more, a Radar Transponder or an AIS
Transponder????

C.A.R.D radar transponder: $535

C.A.R.D. is only a radar detector, not a transponder. It will
indicate the general direction from which it receives radar signals,
but does not respond to them, nor indicate the distance to the radar
source. I suspect the display would become useless in the presence of
multiple radar sources.

Class B AIS transponders (just coming on the market) are over $1,000
Class A AIS transponders are $4,000-5,000.

There is also a question of whether a radar or AIS transponder is
legal on a pleasure craft in the potential user's country.

I don't think that any Class B AIS units are approved for use in the
US at present. (I don't think that the AIS units should be called
transponders, as the transmit function doesn't depend on receiving any
signals.)

--
Best regards,
John Navas http:/navasgroup.com