posted to rec.boats.electronics
BrianH BrianH is offline

Default Microwave leak detector - active radar reflectors

larry wrote:
BrianH wrote in news:1d379$47960e55$50dbe397$1297
@news.hispeed.ch:

I'm still waiting to upgrade my AIS receiver for a
transponder. At least I can see and identify a threat and
call by name on VHF.

What I always find amusing, out at sea, is the reluctance of the yachties
to simply TALK to the ships. It's as if that SeaLand containership were
full of pirates and they're afraid of being attacked or ****ing off the
bored-to-death mate at the helm.

I've been recently following a few MAIB (UK) yacht/ship
collision reports and I am mystified why the yacht failed to
attempt to use a serviceable VHF radio to warn that they
were being run down. The much-publicised loss of the Ouzo
off the Isle of Wight in 2006 is a classic example. This is
especially so when compared to the banal chat I often hear
from many yachts calling their buddies.