posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Microwave leak detector

wrote in news:fb2cbd4c-164a-4c0f-aee9-2ef93949e881
@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

What do you think?

Useless. Wrong band! Boat radars are on X-band (or what used to be X-
band). They operate on 10GHZ....WAY too far from 2450 Mhz microwave leak
detectors.

You'll be fine if you don't put your gonads right up against the feedhorn
or planar panel and hold it. AVERAGE power of a boat radar is TINY....very
narrow pulse width to get fine resolution returns....long rest times to
hold down the battery drain current.

http://www.furunousa.com/Furuno/Doc/...FODH2N7B/1715%
20Brochure%20b.pdf

This 2.2KW PEAK output Furuno uses 38W of power at full display brightness
and power output. Of that 38W, most of it is display lighting and
magnetron filament heating up the maggie. It's AVERAGE (heating) output
power is probably around 2W, tops.

Rotating properly, you'd have to put your nose up against the radome for 20
years before your first cataract operation. ANY cop hiding his 24GHZ
CONTINUOUS WAVE doppler radar bouncing off the lead glass windscreen of his
cruiser is in FAR FAR more danger of RF than you could ever be.

Now, I used to play with this radar my rich uncle bought me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/SPS-49

If you had any brains, you didn't go anywhere near its antenna while it was
on. It cooked seagulls right out of the sky!...(c;