posted to rec.boats.electronics
Patrick Harman Patrick Harman is offline

Default External Wifi Antenna

I got this device to finally work.You have to go into configuration via your
web browser to search for available Wi-Fi signals.

after you select one you go back in to the network set up in windows to
change the IP address to dynamic. then you launch the web browser again.

Bingo I am on line great signal strength etc. The only problem is I have to
click repair every so often from the icon that represents my network from
the windows network dialog box.

Sorry I have not used the correct syntax, but I think you understand what I
did.

The documentation goes into lots of detail on how to configure the devise
and absolutely none on how to get on line after you have configured it.

The included 5 db rubber duck antenna worked fine, I have a 9 db, which is
about as high gain as I want in while it is mounted on my boat..

It has been a challenge, but I an happy with the results.

Pat Harman
"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Patrick Harman wrote:
I started this dialog, so I will give you all an update. I purchased An
Eon-3220 EXT:

http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/...ory.aspx?id=17

I found the specs for physical size of that in the User's Guide:

http://www.engeniustech.com/resource...tBridge_AP.pdf

It looks like both models use the same housing and that it is about 6.5"
(163.8 mm) long, 5.3" (135.2 mm) wide, and 1.9" (47.0 mm) high, and
weighs 2.6 lbs. (1.2 Kg).

My decision was bases on specifications. I have now established
communications with the device, it took a null modem adapter and a gender
changer to do this. Un fortunately I no longer had these in my junk pile.

Stay tuned for my efforts to get on line.

My goal is to get an antenna high enough to clear a boat house or other
obstruction to receive Wi-Fi. I have some confidence that this device
will
do what I want it to do.

So the plan will be to mount the EOC-3220 EXT up on the mast, power it
with the PoE setup, and use the supplied or another external dipole
antenna?

They don't say much about the antenna other than it is a 5 dB antenna
with a RP-SMA connector. Sounds like your basic "rubber ducky" antenna
as used by Linksys and many of the other wireless units.

Do you know, does that also have the internal 9 dB patch antenna fitted
so you can use either the patch (which would be directional) or an
external antenna?

At any rate, it will be interesting to hear how it goes.

Funny thing though is I am not a fan of MS Windows, and miss MS Dos, but
plug and play has some real benefits now that I am just a user. It has
been
humbling.

Sounds like you missed the most troublesome times on Windows. There was
a long time when Plug and Play was less pleasant in use. I'm using
Windows 2000 now and consider it to be stable and reliable. I'm sure
linux and Macs are better but I've never been able to get everything
done on those.

I do keep a Windows 98 boot disk around though. If I want to get a W2K
or XP machine into a DOS mode I do it with that. But don't be afraid to
fool around with the Command Prompt on W2K or XP. It actually has
become pretty stable over the years. If it is not visible on your
Accessories menu, you can start it from Start Run typing in "cmd" (no
quotes) and pressing Enter.

If you start looking for other antennas to use with that, try a search
for antenna on eBay. There is always a lot of wireless stuff on sale
there, antennas, adapters, etc. Most good antennas will have a Type "N"
connector on them but you can get N to RP-SMA adapters on eBay too.

Do you have a 48VDC source on your boat? If you do, I wonder if that
can be used for the PoE's 48VDC input? It would get you away from
having to use the supplied wall plug AC/DC adapter.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)