Paul Cassel Paul Cassel is offline

Default 41 foot sailboat - cost of ownership?

Roger Long wrote:
Paul Cassel" wrote
I'd like to see the listings of a boat, in good shape, at 10% of it's
original value. Yes, boat prices are down, but they aren't a dime on a
dollar - or I don't think so.

That's not exactly the comparison I'm making. I bought my 1980 32 foot boat
for 15 K. I see ads for new "daysailers" with some cruising accomodations
that are a bit smaller and have less of everything except cosmetic
appearance for a big chunk out of a million bucks. My annual expenses and
theirs will be a lot closer than the price difference.

I don't pay much attention to the new market. Can someone tell me what a
midrange quality 32 footer goes for today?

Latest CW has a 33 footer which it likes. Cost is about $140k stripped.
I'm guessing that stripped means it has reefer, hot / cold running /
pressure. Lacking only instruments and electronics. That's a guess.

I'd guess, based on my last boating experience (lived aboard until 2004)
that this would cost maybe $50k for an equivalent boat in fine shape
with these features. That's a lot more than the 10% you mentioned.

Now sure, you can get a decent boat such as a Cape Dory or Pearson in
about a 32' length for much less than $50k but it won't be in as good a
shape nor will it have modern features like the $140k boat in CW. My
first boat, which I mostly built and lived on for 6 years, didn't have a
reefer, or pressure or hot water. Somehow we managed to survive, but
times have changed. We also had NO radio or other electronics - even
VHF. We didn't miss it, but I can't see cruising around today w/o that.

-paul