druid druid is offline

Default 41 foot sailboat - cost of ownership?

On Jan 12, 12:12 am, ray lunder wrote:
I've only owned small sailboats before but now,.. I'm looking at a
pretty good deal on a 41 footer that needs some work. Can anyone
comment on the less obvious costs of owning a boat this size? I do
most repairs myself on smaller boats. Thanks as always.

I'll give a bit of the "other side", since I feel my 36ft Catalina was
pretty economical.

Over 17 years, I did a number of replacements and upgrades, including
fridge, giant holding tank, electronics, sails, engine, roller-
furling... and let a few things "slide", like the upholstery. I'd say
the replacements and upgrades cost maybe $25K (including the new
engine). Spread over 17 years, that's about $1.5K/yr. I budgeted about
$600/yr (ok, make it $1K) for "normal maintenance" like annual
haulout, bottom paint, filters, fuel, etc. I bought her for $55K and
sold for $47K, so that's $8K depreciation.

Moorage is another story. Until the last few years, it was $2.5 - $3K /
yr. Last 3 years it jumped to over $4K (one reason I downsized!).

So what's that all add up to... (where's my calculator?) About $7K/yr
for everything. Not too bad, I'd say... (and you could get away with
less if you found cheaper moorage and didn't replace the engine!)

I'm guessing my Crown 28 will cost more like $4 -$6K/yr, depending on
whether I replace the engine.

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org