No Name

Default 41 foot sailboat - cost of ownership?

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
Roger Long wrote:
"Paul Cassel" wrote
A good rule of thumb for any boat is that if in perfect shape, it'll
cost 10% of its value per year in maintenance charges if you hire it all
out. How much you'll save if you DIY will depend on the job.

And, you have to be very careful that you understand what that is 10% of.
If you went out and bought a new cruising boat just built, you might pay
$200,000. Annual cost will then be $20,000 according to this rule. You
can buy an older boat that is the functional equivalent in today's
depressed market for about $20,000.

I'd like to see the listings of a boat, in good shape, at 10% of it's
original value. Yes, boat prices are down, but they aren't a dime on a
dollar - or I don't think so.

-paul

You have received good feedbacks concerning your question.
What I did was to establish the cost of owning a sailboat that has to be
refurbished to a point that I do not know?
The cost of owning a sailboat that is already in ship shape with almost
nothing to be added.
I estimated the cost to ±15% and projected (incl. repairs, maintenance,
depression, escalation, finance, insurance, residual value and etc.) it to
10 and 20 years. In my case because of my age I use a 10 years period.
Then I brought back the resulting figures to their present value in today's
money.
Over here, a 15 to 20 years old boat has to be surveyed every 5 years for
insurance.
All this present value analysis is construed as pure academic BS by many but
it did gave me a good tool for to draw the line.
One interesting thing is that a surveyor can only comment on what he/she can
see.
Last year one member of our club has his 44 foot sailboat surveyed. On his
way South the rudder of the boat came apart and their had to abandon ship
during a bad storm.