Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default 41 foot sailboat - cost of ownership?

On 2008-01-12 03:12:11 -0500, ray lunder said:

I've only owned small sailboats before but now,.. I'm looking at a
pretty good deal on a 41 footer that needs some work. Can anyone
comment on the less obvious costs of owning a boat this size? I do most
repairs myself on smaller boats. Thanks as always.

Can't comment without seeing the boat. I've seen some that looked rough
but were basically sail-away; others that were even rougher than they
appeared. (All boats that have been sitting a few weeks look rough.)

Your best investment right now is a full survey, and to make any
purchase agreement dependent on you being satisfied with the report. (A
"satisfactory survey" can bring some really bad news.) Part of the
survey is a good ball-park estimate of the boat's value and what
repairs/replacements are needed by priority. Anything that isn't
"immediate", BTW, means if/when you get around to it. (I still have
some items to do from our survey 16 seasons ago.)

Assume the electronics are outdated and/or fried, as will be most
everything that can wear out or simply get old. Frankly, anything like
that which works is gravy.

And get with the owners' group(s)! Usually, a necessary repair is a
real bear, but sometimes it's not so bad when you can get good advice.
(See Xan's bulkhead replacement below for one of the latter.)

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD