HK HK is offline

Default Aluminum boats welding (Hewes, Duckworth, Bolton)

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:

The OP should research why the skin on aluminum airplanes are riveted
rather than welded.
Hint: It has something to do with preventing the wings from snapping
off.

Eisboch

Next time I buy an aluminum boat with wings, I'll keep that in mind.

Cute, but not the point. Thin welded aluminum is subject to stress cracks
in anything that flexes. Rivets allow flex without losing structure. You
knew that.

The boats you provided a link to are designed from the get-go to be welded,
using large, continuous panels with welds that I am sure are reinforced and
placed in minimum stress areas.

Eisboch

Yup. Black Labs are some of the toughest boats around. Almost bought one
when I was considering what to buy after selling my Parker 2520XL.

I've been an admirer of the work of Louis Sullivan for many decades, so
when I look at boats, I always have "form ever follows function" in
mind. That's why I like the looks of Parker Boats, too.