Joe Joe is offline

Default Red Cloud Abandoned!

On Jan 11, 12:32*am, " wrote:
All good points, Larry. *For what it is worth a few nationalities
still keep continuous radio watches on the official marine SSB voice
distress frequencies:

2182
4125
6215
8291
12290
16420

Tried everyone one the list above and even a few restricted military
freq. Keep in mind this was 03:00 to 07:30 New Years day. Can you
think of a worse time to get military personnel on the horn? ;0)

Then I called on 14.300 to the mariners net and found a familiar
voice of a guy named Rooney. A top notch fellow who had control of the
net at the time. He worked with another fellow who called the 8th
district in New Orleans (uGH). At the time I was just advising them of
our position and drift speed and direction and requesting that they
standby in case RedCloud started drifting towards any oil platforms
and we requested they provide us updated weather information. I also
requested a tow.

Was refused the tow, even after calling many commerical towing
outfits, they would not come out in the weather. The USCG had a 87
fter on the Sabine that could have been out in 8 hours. My brother an
X coasties said the "roter heads" wanted all the glory. I'd never say
anything like that having not served in the USCG and working on many
many rough weather rescues closely with the air group like my brother
did.

I know if I had an 87 fter like this a meer 8 hours away

http://www.uscg.mil/d8/cgcHeron/img/cgcHeron.jpg

and were in command, I could have taken RedCloud under tow in the
conditions we were in, it would have been a hell of a ride, but I
would have been chomping at the bit to go.

I'm grafeful for all the assistance the USCG gave, but IMO if they
wanted to, they could have worked with me and saved my home and
business. All my career I have been lucky enough to only assit the
USCG, and have always been egar to do so.

Well that's my rant..I have no one to blame but myself. I put my
vessel in a bad spot at a bad time and got what I had coming. If you
head offshore and you get any assitance at all....you need to feel
damn lucky for it.

Joe

With those you should at least be able to pick up Taupo Maritime Radio/
ZLM, New Zealand if you're in the South Pacific... *I don't really
know if anyone else is still listening. *There are equivalent DSC
frequencies for those so equipped. *Also, there's usually a HAM on
14.300 who knows how to deal with a priority call. *You don't need to
be a HAM if you've got priority traffic -- don't let the radio cops
scare you away!

-- Tom.