John H.[_3_] John H.[_3_] is offline

Default Help needed - Computer stuff

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:29:34 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is
Here wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:13:58 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:07:52 -0500, John H.
wrote:

I have a 160 GB external hard disk to which I tried to back up my documents
and settings using the Windows backup system.

After about a half hour, I get a message saying there's not enough room for
the backup, and that if the hard disk is FAT 32, the backup can be no
larger than 4 GB. So I checked, and sure enough, the external HD is FAT 32.

Now what? I already have about 50 GB of stuff on the external HD that I
don't want to lose by reformatting (if that's what's required).
Don't fool around. Just buy a bigger HD, and format it in NTFS.
Then reformat the other one, and use it too.
Better to have at least 2 backup drives for Murphy Law insurance.

--Vic

Damn, that's easy. Will any external hard drive be formatable in NTFS?

Normally they are, in fact, today most computers purchased with WinXP
are formated in NTFS.

The drive in the computer is NTFS. The external drive bought a couple years
ago, is FAT32.
--
John H