HK HK is offline

Default Help needed - Computer stuff

wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:54:37 -0600, Del Cecchi
wrote:

Rather than using backup, can you just copy the files manually using
windows explorer. Or perhaps different backup software?

That was my thought. I have several big drives scattered around my
network and I copy stuff I don't want to lose to them. There are
several copies of things like my MP3s and pictures spinning on oxide
in raw form. Backup files may use less disk space but you need the
matching restore program to retrieve them. The only thing these are
handy for is your system files that don't "copy" well.
Even with that if you are a W/9x person you can get a reasonably good
backup restore using XCOPY/S/H/E/R/C. There is a short file name
problem that could bite you but you need to have done some strange DOS
stuff to have it happen. Your Windows system files will come back
fine.
I am not running XP yet but I have a shrinkwrapped "pro" sitting here
for when I need to. 98SE still seems to be doing fine for what I do.

Hmmm. Have you considered MS DOS 1.1? :}