HK HK is offline

Default Help needed - Computer stuff

wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:24:57 -0600, Scott Sexton wrote:

Backup Backup Backup.....

Once you have backed up the files then you can wither convert it to NTFS
or just reformat it with NTFS using disc manager.

I second the don't use MS-Backup

I just use the following command in a batch file:

xcopy c:\docume~1\sexton\mydocu~1\*.* e:\backup\*.* /d /s /c /f /h /y

where c:\docume~1\sexton\mydocu~1\*.* is the source of my files and e:
\backup\*.* is the destination location. I schedule this to run EVERY
night at 4:00am

for an explaination of the switches /d /s /c /f /h /y run XCOPY /? from
the dos prompt and the help file will show you what they do.

Good luck,

Scott Sexton
Hobie 16
Mako 21

xcopy has a well documented problem resolving short filename aliases
for long file names and long directory names properly. There are free
alternatives that overcome the limitation.

For Harry and JimH:
A short file name alias is the first six characters of a longfilename
with a tilde and a number at the end to make it 8 characters.

Example...

Microsoft Office

becomes:

Micros~1

Salty
becomes
Saltpeter (too much of)

I'm completely unimpressed by your pronouncements here, dipstick. You
remind me of a twerp with a clapped-out 26' sailboat who used to post
here, a guy who actually posted a photo of himself in a tight little
bathing suit.

Forgot the guy's handle, but I'm sure someone here will remember it (and
you).