BAR BAR is offline

Default Handicapping Iowa...

John H. wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:27:52 -0500, BAR wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:03:34 -0500, BAR wrote:

HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
HK wrote:
BAR wrote:

Did they make you take the medical sterilization as a condition of
parole?
And you're so clever you quit high school to join the Marines, eh?

Sure, whatever you wan to think Harry.

But, you know where I live. It is not in a trailer off of Route 2 in
Calvert county.
Well, gosh, I don't live in a trailer off Route 2 in Calvert County,
either. By the way, Route 2 is Old Solomons Island Road. There are some
lovely farms and farmette estates along that road, including a few that
are for sale. You could sell that subdivision house up there on
Peckerwood Lane and use the proceeds as a downpayment on a nice piece of
property in an uncongested area near the Bay.

If I sold my house on Peckerwood Lane I could buy property on the water
with a dock near where you live. But, for now we will just stay on
Peckerwood Lane until the wife stops working or when I retire in 10
years and move to my retirement location.
Man! Picking a retirement location is difficult.

I'd been thinking about Wake Forest, NC, until I checked the water level.
It's downj 9 feet, and there's only one ramp useable now. However, there
are lots of golf courses and homes are cheap (compared to here).

My son-in-law wants me to move to the Williamsburg area. Lots of golf,
although not cheap, great access to a lot of water, and the price of homes
isn't bad. Not bad at all, I thought.

Then I find out about NC's income tax laws. Neither the wife nor I would
pay state income taxes on our federal pensions. Hell, that would be a
savings of about $8000 per year. That in itself would pay for a lot of golf
and boat gas!

What to do, what to do.

We are stuck here in the DC area due to my wife's high paying job in the
Space & Military Industrial Complex. There are only about three or four
other locations she could get a job in her highly specialized field. And
most of them are with her company in areas with the same or higher cost
of living as we are in now. If the wife didn't have this particular job
we would already be living in Central NC, most likely somewhere around
Raleigh.

May 15th 2017 is when The Bert stops working. It will have been 40 years
and I will not ever receive a retirement check from a government or
private organization. It will be funded from my own pocket and will be
at or above my current standard of living. And I will be in my mid-50's
to boot.

I'm sure you're looking forward to it!

Are you not going to take your Social Security?

I can retire at 56 without needing the Social Security. But I'll be
picking up that check when I reach 62, our finance guy says as soon as
you can get the money from SS you should take it.

The