Matt Lang

Default Cathodic Protection for Aluminum Hull - Need Help

Folks,

I will be getting such boat (19') and will be using it in salt and
freshwater. Power comes from a merc sportjet.

I have been looking into corrosion protection and learned that you
should have magnesium in fresh and alumium or zinc in sal****er ...

Seems there isnt a good all around thing?

Since the hull of this boat will disintegrate if protection isnt done
right I was hopeing to gather good advise from here.

Merc makes a mercathode to protect their sterndrives. I am not sure if
this would be useable on an aluminum hull as it would ground the hull
to the battery, which I think isnt good for this type hull.

There is also electroguard which makes such devices for large boats..

Does anybody know what is best for my fututre hull & drive? The hull
will last forever therfore a few hundred bucks for the right
protection is no issue.

Thanks for all advise !!
Matt