posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default Radar for sailboats

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:58:40 -0000, "Robert Miles"
wrote:

Hi,
Looking at fitting Radar to my Beneteau 361.
I had a JRC 1000 a few years ago.. I liked the low power drain and small
radome.
JRC don't market in the UK anymore so options seem to be Furuno or Furuno?

Furuno make an 18" 2Kw radome. not sure how big the cable to the display is
though, the JRC was pretty large! About an inch diameter! I was looking for
something simple to install

I've told you millions of times not to exaggerate! :-)

I'm sure the cable on my JRC1500 radar was only about 1/2 inch
diameter.

Garmin seem to make radars these days.. but 4Kw? I will be running the
engine to keep the radar going.. might as well get a motor boat!

Remember that the advertised power of a radar is the peak transmit
power, and the radar will transmit for less than 0.1% of the time. I
might expect a 4 KW radar to use about 1.5 times as much power as a
2KW, as most of the power will be used heating the magnetron, rotating
the antenna, and operating the display, with only a small portion
going towards the RF output power.

Any thoughts on who makes small low power radomes for sailors please?

Furuno, Raymarine, Garmin. I've also seen Koden mentioned recently.

Regards

Bob Miles

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI