Justin C[_6_] Justin C[_6_] is offline

Default Towed generators

In article , wrote:
In the late seventy Yves Gélinas "Jean-du-Sud around the World" used a towed
generator.
The electrical power produced was mainly used to communicate on his short
wave radio.
Every day he radioed his position. Then all of a sudden no more
communication were transmitted by him.
Later it was learned that the impeller on his towed generator had been
chewed to pieces.
When he returned home I talked to him and he stated that the sharks made a
meal of the generator impeller.
He also mentioned that the life expectancy of an impeller is in relation
with which region of the globe you are sailing.

Unless the impeller is perfectly balanced there'll be some 'wobble' and
therefore vibration. I wonder if this is similar to the 'creature in
destress' vibrations that sharks pick up? ... maybe someone could patent
this as a lure for shark fishermen!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.