druid druid is offline

Default Fuel consumption on Volvo MD6A?

On Jan 2, 10:13 pm, Jere Lull wrote:
On 2008-01-02 10:24:05 -0500, druid said:

On Jan 2, 12:27 am, Jere Lull wrote:

At 5 knots (not 5.5), you're probably in a good ballpark. Average speed
makes a real difference.

aYup!
Knotmeter says 5.5, pretty much 6 WOT, but 5 is more realistic for
navigation purposes. Once I win the lottery (or at least a
scratch-n-win...) and put in the 2GM20F, I'll use 5.5 (maybe even 6).
And you're right: that 1/2 knot makes a HUGE difference!

Don't bother re-powering. First put a better prop on, then perhaps rebuild.

We repowered Xan when we first got her, but won't do that again.

Well, there's a lot of reasons for my choice to repower apart from
power itself. First, the existing engine has no alternator - the
generator (which may or may not work at all) puts out maybe 7 Amps at
cruise. Second, it's an old engine and parts are expensive and hard to
come by. Third, it's RWC.

As for power: I repowered Far Cove and was surprised how much BETTER
the new engine was: started easier, smoother, quieter...things I
hadn't even noticed were wrong until I put in the new engine. And it
was such a joy to cruise at 1/2 throttle rather than 90% throttle, and
to have that extra knot or so for pushing through passages against a
tide. (and a 105A alternator to offset the fridge!)

It's true I could rebuild the Volvo (I've already rebuilt the top end
with little difference in power or smoke), add an alternator, FWC...
but I can pick up a rebuilt 2GM20F for under $4K and install it myself
for about the cost of all those add-ons.

druid